The National Council on Fireworks Safety
Safety Tips For Handling Consumer Fireworks
- Always purchase fireworks from a reliable source.
- Use fireworks as directed on consumer product safety label; never alter products.
- Observe local laws and use good COMMON SENSE.
- Have a designated shooter to organize and shoot your family show.
- A responsible ADULT should supervise all firework activities.
- Parents should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; AWAY from buildings and vehicles.
- NEVER carry fireworks in your POCKET.
- Wear safety glasses whenever using fireworks.
- Always have water ready if you are shooting fireworks.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor trash can.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.